For many people, the worst part about moving is the packing! It’s true that trying to get all o your possessions neatly into numerous boxes, while also ensuring that they are wrapped up nice and safe can be a bit stressful, which is why you need to be very organised.
With that in mind, we have put together a complete checklist for moving house packing, which you will find below:
Table of Contents
General moving tips
Pack similar items together
Packing like items together is a good way to keep your packing efficient. Just make assure that you use bubble wrap to keep each item separate and that you place the heaviest objects at the bottom of the box.
Label or colour code each box
This part of the packing guide will help you to unpack more efficiently at your new place.
Write an inventory
Writing an inventory of what is in each box will make it easier for you to find the things you need and stay organized.
Pack a box of essentials
Packing a box of essential items like hygiene products, medications, food, drink, and various tools like screwdrivers, will help you to have easy access to them on moving day.
Don’t overstuff boxes
If you put too much stuff in boxes, there is a danger the bottom will fall out and your stuff will get damaged.
Gather packing materials
Gathering packing materials together quickly will mean that you can start packing without having to keep nipping to the tore because you have forgotten the tp or the bubble wrap or whatever.
Ideally, you should start packing around 6 weeks before you move if you want to fit it all in and not be running around at the last moment.
What supplies do you need for house packing? The following is a good start:
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
- Packing dispenser
- Mattress bag
- Heavy-duty trash bags
- Packing rugs
It is so much easier to organise, inventory and pack your belongings when there are fewer of them, so why not take the fact that you are moving as an opportunity to get rid of things you no longer want or need?
Sound good? Here’s a quick guide to decluttering before your house move:
Purge your closet
Get rid of anything that is too big or small, you never wear, or which is out of style.
If you wouldn’t buy it, get rid of it
If you own an object that you would not spend money on now, and you don’t actually use it at present, then donating, selling, or tossing it out is probably smart, and will lighten your load significantly.
Arrange a pickup for charity
Many charities will pick up any unwanted items you want for free. So, once you have sorted through everything, arrange for the charity of your choice to come and collect it and that will be one less thing for you to worry about.
Hire a storage unit
If there are any items you don’t really need, but which you cannot bear to part with, hiring a storage unit in the short term will help to lighten your packing load.
Packing checklist room by room
- Defrost fridge 2 days before moving
- Wrap and pack dishes carefully
- Remove loose parts of small appliances and pack carefully
- Keep refrigerated food in a cook box
- Remove chair legs
- Wrap table in a thick blanket to keep it safe from scratches
- Bubblewrap any ornamnets
Living Room and Den
- Remove bases and cables for TVs and electronics
- Keep remotes and cables from each appliance together,m suing tape to secure, and label them so you know which is which
- Remove legs from furniture and pack
- Place furniture sliders under the legs of coffee table and cover with a blanket so that scratches are not an issue
- Wrap mirrors and pictures in bubble wrap
- Pack books and DVDs in separate boxes with plenty of padding
- Place mattresses in protective mattress bags
- Pack clothing on hangers
- Pack duvets and pillows in trash bags
- Pack toiletries in the same box
- Pack towels, soap, and other hygiene products together
- Disconnect appliances before packing
- Detergent is a hazard so you will not be able to bring it with you
- Carefully dispose of any hazardous materials
- Remove gas from any gas appliances before packing
- Place tools in a toolbox before packing
- Remove the legs from the furniture
- Bubble wrap ornaments
- Remove cables from computers and electronics and bubblewrap
Packing is always a chore, but now you know how to do it more effectively, it will be a much easier and far quicker task. Of course, you could just let us do the packing instead, and save yourself the hassle!