A recent study said that six out of ten people thought moving home was the most stressful life event. But it doesn’t need to be. The experts at Dream Movers have helped thousands of happy customers to move home without the hassle. Here are some top tips to take the hassle out of moving day and expert advice on how to prepare for the big move when it comes.
Table of Contents
These steps should be done weeks before the move, to give you plenty of time to prepare.
Cut the Clutter
Before you begin to pack your belongings, it is time to take stock. There is no point needlessly spending time packing and moving items you no longer need. Decluttering will help you keep removal costs down too.
Organize Utility Transfers
The more notice you give to your gas, electricity, phone, pay TV and internet suppliers the better! Whilst most providers claim that they will only need a few business days to facilitate the transfer, this does not give you any time for ‘unexpected delays.’ Call ahead with your new address and expected moving date.
Create a packing plan and kit
Think about what you can pack and when. There may be some items like books and ornaments that you can pack early as you are unlikely to need them. However, kitchen utensils should be left to be packed last, to ensure you do not need to keep digging them out to prepare a meal. A packing kit with marker pens, parcel tape, and scissors will be invaluable when the packing starts. You don’t want to waste hours looking for them amongst your belongings every time you finish a box.
How long it takes to pack will depend on how much stuff you have. If you are struggling to find the time then contact Dream Movers and ask about their packing services. If you are packing yourself here are some top tips.
- Label every box when you fill it. This will make it easier on the other side as the removalists can place every item into the correct room in your new home. It will also help you prioritize what you unpack first.
- Do not overfill boxes. Overfilled boxes are more likely to be dropped or break. It is better to have more boxes than you think you will need.
- Wrap kitchenware and crockery individually and stack them upside down in cartons.
- Don’t be tempted to just throw some loose items into the transport. Packing into boxes will make it less likely items get lost or are broken.
- Empty your fridge and freezer and ensure it is fully defrosted. Remove loose items such as ice cube trays and fridge magnets.
If you are prepared and have an expert team like Dream Movers ready to transport your belongings then all you have to do is collect your keys and ensure the properties are open. Try to consider where the trucks can park and save a few spots near your properties for a speedy removal process.
How we can help?
Moving home can be stressful, but it doesn’t need to be! Here at Dream Movers, we provide a premium, all-in-one service to ensure that your move is a breeze. We value giving you the best service experience from your booking to the end of your moving. From plugging in electronics to assembling furniture, if you’re looking for furniture removalists who will help with every element of your move, we can assist!
Get in touch with Dream Movers today to get your removal quote.